- To download the pdf format of my resume, click here
- Iowa State University
- Ph.D., Computer Science, GPA: 3.67/4.0 Expected December 2024
- Addis Ababa Science and Technology University
- BSc, Software Engineering, GPA: 3.75/4.0 September 2014 - June 2018
- Graduated Magna cum laude
- Founded Innovation Club
- Laboratory for Software Engineering, Iowa State University
- Researched and implemented software engineering (SE) methodologies to enhance auto-code completion tools, relatively improving state-of-the-art tools.
- Investigated language models and SE techniques to clean protein function misannotations in large databases.
- Analyzed top-tier conference papers to create insightful presentations that effectively communicated ideas.
- Collaborated with post-docs and lab members to write and publish top-tier conference papers, contributing to advancing scientific knowledge in software engineering and deep learning.
- Supervisor: Dr. Hridesh Rajan
- DL/ML Library: TensorFlow/Keras, Python, Hugging Face Libraries, Pandas, Numpy
- Frameworks, OS: Spring boot, Django, Symphony, GitHub, Linux, Windows, MacOS
- Database Technology: MySQL, SQLite, MSSQL, Firebase
- Feb 2021 - Present: Graduate Teaching Assistant
- Taught 80+ students the principles of programming language, program debugging, and developing test cases.
- Headed the Principles of Programming course, working closely with a team of 3 teaching assistants to facilitate a collaborative and inclusive learning environment.
- Designed and delivered highly effective lectures and exercises during recitation periods.
- Conducted weekly office hours, providing personalized support and feedback to students, leading to notable improvements in grades and overall academic performance.
- Aug 2019 to Nov 2019: Software Engineer
- Med-Innovation, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Collaborated with a team of 2 members to design and implement a customer relationship management (CRM) system using Spring Boot and Vaadin.
- Successfully launched the CRM project within a strict timeline, demonstrating exceptional project management and teamwork skills.
- Implemented CRM resulted in a 10% increase in the company’s customer retention rate within 2 months, providing measurable business value.
- June 2017 to Aug 2017: Software Engineer Intern
- Kifiya Financial Technology, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Identified and proposed improvements to the user experience (UX) for 2 projects, resulting in enhanced site navigation and improved customer satisfaction.
- Successfully completed the project on time, delivering high-quality work and effectively communicating proposed ideas to senior executives.
Services and Award
- Selected for the Google Cloud Research Innovators Program March 2023
- Received Travel grant from BlackInAI group to attend NeurIPS’22 November 2022
- Awarded a Google Cloud Research Credits program ($1000) June 2022
- Student Volunteer at SPLASH’21 Conference (Chicago, IL) November 2021
- Founder at JawisAdvisory. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- I founded JawisAdvisory to guide students interested in pursuing graduate study. Mostly, the guidance is tailored for underrepresented groups, as I’m more familiar with the process and also a way of giving back to my community.
- Co-Founder at SmartMasa. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Led our team to pitch a precision farming project to large incubation centers and investors in Ethiopia, resulting in more than $10K in funding and support for the initiative.
- Demonstrated exceptional leadership, business, and technological skills while working on the web and mobile-based precision farming project aimed at improving the lives of smallholders.